Monday, May 28, 2012

Another amazing Sunday...

Foster Road in Moretown, closed in winter single lane super steep

Yiorgos at the crossroads

Proof that the run up can beat the ride up on Foster Road

Heading home on the railroad bed
It was another great weekend. That is the good news. I am afraid we will use them all up before the Lake Champlain 200/300k. That is the bad news. I will choose to focus on the good news though. Rode into Montpelier this morning along Rt.2. Met Yiorgos and had breakfast and then headed out on the Reservoir Road which is a very nice gravel ride along the Winooski River. 10 years ago when I would do this ride I might see 1 or 2 other riders. Now I will see 10-15. It is very heartening that so many folks are hopping on bikes again. I attribute it largely to the practical bikes that are readily available now.

Here is the link to the ride route...http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/96882711

We headed south on 100B past the spillway and veered off onto Moretown County Road. That means up up up for about 2 miles. We took a little detour along Foster Road which I was intrigued by as MapMyRide noted "closed in winter". It didn't disappoint. There was a cyclocross like descent followed by a granny gear climb for me and a dismount/run up for Yiorgos. At the top we layered down and then bombed down into Moretown.

We headed back north on 100B for a stop at the Red Hen Bakery. We grabbed a coffee and ran into Frank from Onion River Sports. He is an ace mechanic who always does a fantastic job of CLA and polishing my bikes. He rides a CrossCheck outfitted with fenders and greatly impressed me with the fact that it is his sole bike. I can't imagine having the self control to own 1 bike while working at a bike shop. We all rode back together on the Reservoir Road for a while then Frank put it in turbo and motored off.

I headed back up Route 2 and then to the Plainfield Co-op before heading home up the railbed.
Another great ride with perfect weather!

No comments: