Sunday, January 8, 2012

The sound of snow...

When we got home from a long day out with the family I went out for a short ride with the K-9. It was just getting dark. Snow was on the ground. The moon was full. The road was packed icy snow with a touch of powder on top and gravel mixed in from the town plow truck.

This post is about the sound of snow. I tried to record it but failed, so I will try to write about it. Be prepared for some Car Talk style sound description. The paws of the dog alternate between ch-ch-ch and ch-ch as we change pace and his gait changes. The studded tires make a continuous shhhhhhh sound that changes slightly as I sometimes brake as the dogs investigates rabbit tracks or deer crossings. I kept the pace slow to take it all in.




4 comments:

Pondero said...

I think I got it, at least enough to understand your delight. That's a foreign sound to me, but kinda get the appeal.

Unknown said...

I know if you ever try it you'll love it Chris!

bmike said...

love it. and love the sound of snow under foot or tire.

the sounds of studs are interesting - mine are more like bacon frying on pavement. when they go silent is when one has to be careful - that usually means ice.

you at least have what is passable winter over there... here on the west coast of vt we have cold and nothing white and fluffy. lots of ice though, for sure.

Unknown said...

Indeed it is a pitiful winter so far. No good for woods skiing at all. Hopefully I'll come up and go for a bacon ride soon.